Cyber crime’s role is increasing day by day.Cyber crime encompasses any criminal act dealing with computers and networks (called hacking). Additionally, cyber crime also includes traditional crimes conducted through the Internet. For example; hate crimes, telemarketing and Internet fraud, identity theft, and credit card account thefts are considered to be cyber crimes when the illegal activities are committed through the use of a computer and the Internet.
if you doesn’t feel comfortable then i can also explain in simple words which re given below:
“In the place of guns and masks, this cyber crime organization Used laptops and the Internet,”
The growing list of Role of cyber crimes includes crimes that have been made possible by computers, such as network intrusions and the dissemination of computer viruses, as well as computer-based variations of existing crimes, such as identify, theft stalking, bullying and terrorism.
There are a number of controversial issues surrounding cyber crime. Opinions differ, for example, as to whether some widespread activities (such as file sharing) should be classified as criminal acts. The U.S. Digital Media Copyright Act (DMCA) of 1998 stipulates that exchanging files of copyrighted material, such as music or videos, is illegal and punishable by law. In August, 2002, the U.S. Department of Justice announced that they would begin to prosecute cases of peer-to-peer privacy. Since that time, there have been sporadic suits brought against individuals. Such prosecutions please many in the entertainment industries but are less popular with the general public. Gary Shapiro, president of the Consumer Electronics Association, has remarked that “If we have 70 million people in the United States who are breaking the law, we have a big issue.”
Another controversy related to cyber crime(Role in technology) is the issue of digital surveillance and its impact on civil liberties. Since the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in September 2001, many have deemed it necessary to curtail some individual rights to privacy of information in exchange for greater security.
Common types of cyber crime:
Common types of cyber crime include online bank information theft, identity theft, online predatory crimes and unauthorized computer access. More serious crimes like cyber terrorism are also of significant concern.
Cyber crime encompasses a wide range of activities, but these can generally be broken into two categories:
- Crimes that target computer networks or devices. These types of crimes include viruses and denial-of-service (DoS) attacks.
- Crimes that use computer networks to advance other criminal activities. These types of crimes include cyber stalking, phishing and fraud or identity theft.
The Two Main Types Of Cyber Crime:
- Usually a single event from the perspective of the victim. An example would be where the victim unknowingly downloads a Trojan horse virus, which installs a keystroke logger on his or her machine. The keystroke logger allows the hacker to steal private data such as internet banking and email passwords.
- Another common form of Type 1 cyber crime is phishing. This is where the victim receives a supposedly legitimate email (quite often claiming to be a bank or credit card company) with a link that leads to a hostile website. Once the link is clicked, the PC can then be infected with a virus.
- Hackers often carry out Type 1 cyber crime by taking advantage of flaws in a web browser to place a Trojan horse virus onto the unprotected victims computer
- Any cyber crime that relates to theft or manipulation of data or services via hacking or viruses, identity theft, and bank or e-commerce fraud.
- Type 2 cyber crime tends to be much more serious and covers things such as cyber stalking and harassment, child predication, extortion, blackmail, stock market manipulation, complex corporate espionage, and planning or carrying out terrorist activities.
- It is generally an on-going series of events, involving repeated interactions with the target. For example, the target is contacted in a chat room by someone who, over time, attempts to establish a relationship. Eventually, the criminal exploits the relationship to commit a crime. Or, members of a terrorist cell or criminal organization may use hidden messages to communicate in a public forum to plan activities or discuss money laundering locations, for example.
- More often than not, it is facilitated by programs that do not fit under the classification crime ware. For example, conversations may take place using IM (instant messaging) clients or files may be transferred using FTP.
Role of FBI In Cyber Crime:
The FBI identifies cyber crime fugitives who have allegedly committed bank fraud and trafficked counterfeit devices that access personal electronic information. The FBI also provides information on how to report cyber crimes, as well as useful intelligence information about the latest cyber criminals.
- Role of Cyber crime has now surpassed illegal drug trafficking as a criminal moneymaker.
- Somebody’s identity is stolen every 3 seconds as a result of cyber crime.
- Without a sophisticated security package, your unprotected PC can become infected within four minutes of connecting to the Internet.
As we know that role of cyber crime in technology is increasing day by day. Make yourself protected by do not giving your real pictures information on any unsafe social media website.
Do you like this piece of information about cyber crime role? Do tell us in the comment box